My chocolate citrus face scrub is perfect for exfoliating dry skin for a natural glow, and it’s gentle enough even for sensitive skin! With just a few ingredients that you probably already have at home, this homemade face scrub is easy to make and cheap, too!
This post may contain affiliate links. See my full disclosure here.
Chocolate, chocolate, and MORE CHOCOLATE! I love anything and everything chocolate. I also love love love making my own beauty concoctions using natural ingredients that I already have at home.
So what do you get when you combine the two?
My DIY natural chocolate citrus face scrub, of course!
And let me just tell you that it smells every bit as heavenly as it sounds.
I’ve been making my own body scrubs since I was in high school, and I’ve been making this particular recipe for the better part of a decade now. It’s just that good!
And now that I try to be mindful of the kinds of products I put on my skin, I’m even more smitten with this natural recipe. It only contains a handful of ingredients that I know won’t cause any long-term damage. And the best part is that it’s quick to make and super cheap, especially if you already have the ingredients to make it.
So go ahead and whip yourself up a batch of my chocolate citrus face scrub. You’ll wonder how you ever survived this long without it!
Also, don’t forget to download the free printable Natural Skin Care Recipe Guide at the end of this post! It includes this recipe and a few others so you can DIY a complete line of natural skin care products.
How to exfoliate your face naturally
You don’t need a bunch of harsh chemicals to exfoliate your face. A simple scrub made from a base of sugar and oil is gentle enough to use on the delicate skin on your face, yet gritty enough to slough off dead skin cells so you’re left with dewy, glowing skin.
Using a face scrub is my favorite way to exfoliate my face. I’ve tried chemical exfoliation in the past, but chemical peels are always too harsh for my sensitive skin. That’s why I prefer mechanical exfoliation instead! I can choose natural ingredients that I know won’t irritate my skin, and I can control the level of exfoliation by using more or less pressure when applying the scrub.
Basically, mechanical exfoliation offers you much more control than chemical exfoliation. That’s perfect if you’re looking for a natural way to exfoliate your skin or if you need a gentler option than harsh chemical peels.
How to make a homemade face scrub
To make a homemade face scrub, you really only need a few basic ingredients:
- You need a gritty substance to slough off dead skin cells. Some good choices include sugar, fine sea salt, cornmeal, coffee grounds, and baking soda. Sugar is probably my favorite exfoliant for face scrubs, but you can definitely experiment with other exfoliants for different textures.
- You need an oil to bind the exfoliant together. Some good choices include extra virgin olive oil, jojoba oil, grapeseed oil, and sweet almond oil. I usually use jojoba oil or extra virgin olive oil in my face scrubs.
- You need a fragrance if you want your face scrub to smell nice. Some good natural choices include cocoa powder for a chocolate scent and essential oils for other scents. I typically use cocoa powder and/or citrus essential oils for most of my DIY face scrubs and other natural beauty products.
Chocolate Citrus Face Scrub Recipe
- 4-ounce jar with a tightly fitting lid (preferably a dark colored glass jar if you plan to use essential oils)
- ¼ cup measuring cup
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 ½ Tbsp. jojoba oil (can use extra virgin olive oil, grapeseed oil, or sweet almond oil)
- 1 tsp. cocoa powder
- 3 drops grapefruit essential oil (can use orange, lime, lemon, or any other citrus essential oil)
Mix all the ingredients together in a jar.
How to use your natural face scrub
Start with clean, wet skin. Scoop a small amount of scrub into your hand and massage it all over your face (avoiding the eye area) using small circular motions with your fingertips. Rinse with warm water.
If your face feels too oily after rinsing, you can wash your face with your normal face cleanser or this DIY Face Cleanser – Natural Foaming Face Wash for All Skin Types.
Finish with your normal moisturizer or this Simple 3-Ingredient Face Oil.
You can exfoliate your skin once a week or every few days if your skin is particularly dry. I try to exfoliate at least once per week so my skin looks bright and clear.
Special Notes for Your DIY Natural Chocolate Citrus Face Scrub
- Make sure you keep your sugar scrub tightly sealed so you don’t attract ants.
- Many citrus essential oils are phototoxic, meaning they can irritate your skin if you expose your skin to UV light after using them. A good rule of thumb is to wait about 12 hours after applying them before you venture out into direct sunlight or expose your skin to tanning beds or other UV light sources. You can use this scrub before you go to bed so you don’t have to worry about photosensitivity, or you can omit the essential oils and just have a chocolate scented scrub.
- I like my face scrubs to be on the drier side, but you can definitely add more oil if you want. Also, give it a good stir before each use because the oil will sink to the bottom.
FREE PRINTABLE NATURAL SKIN CARE RECIPE GUIDE
And now for that free printable natural skin care recipe guide I promised you earlier! You can get it here.
Final Thoughts on This Natural Face Scrub
Now you know how to make your very own natural face scrub using a few ingredients that you probably already have at home! This chocolate citrus face scrub is my absolute favorite DIY face scrub recipe because it smells so good. I’m a huge chocolate fan anyway, so this scrub is the perfect treat for my face!
Be sure to give this homemade face scrub a try and let me know what you think!
And don’t forget to grab the free skin care guide so you can easily refer back to this recipe!
Other Natural Skincare ARticles You May Enjoy
- DIY Natural Baking Soda Face Scrub for a Polished Glow
- DIY Face Cleanser – Natural Foaming Face Wash for All Skin Types
- DIY Natural Face Mask with Clay and Oatmeal
- Simple 3-Ingredient Face Oil Recipe
- The Natural Skin Care Routine That Gives Me Glowing Skin Every Day
- DIY Natural Deodorant – Natural Homemade Deodorant That Actually Works!
What about you? Do you have a favorite natural face scrub recipe? Let me know in the comments because I’m always on the lookout for new scrubs to make! 🙂
Also, if you found this post helpful, feel free to share it or pin it for later!