Feeling exhausted, overwhelmed, or just plain burned out? Here are 29 simple ways to de-stress so you can feel recharged and ready to take on the world! You can use most of these ideas to reduce stress when you’re at home, but some of them can be done when you’re at work too.
This post may contain affiliate links. See my full disclosure here.
Do you ever feel stressed out, exhausted, drained, or just plain overwhelmed after a long day or an even longer week? Me too. With all of our obligations demanding our attention and constantly pulling us in different directions, it’s easy to get sucked into the vortex of never-ending to-do lists.
Even though we have a lot on our plates, we need remember this important nugget of truth: it’s impossible to pour from an empty cup.
Think about it. How can we give our best to the people we love, excel at work, and otherwise “win” at life if we’re completely and utterly spent? The answer is that we can’t. We have to intentionally and regularly take some time for ourselves if we expect to offer anything significant to the people around us.
If you need a little help thinking of some ways to relax and unwind, then let me offer some suggestions. These are some of my favorite ways to de-stress when life starts bogging me down.
29 Ways to De-stress
- Read a book.
- Take a long bath complete with a goblet of sparkling water, soothing music (Kenny G on Pandora is a good choice), and a few candles.
- Watch your favorite movie. Doris Day’s Move Over Darling puts a smile on my face every time I watch it!
- Write in a journal.
- Listen to a podcast.
- Eat a piece of dark chocolate.
- Do yoga. Yoga with Adriene is my favorite!
- Soak your feet in a tub with warm water, a handful of Epsom salt, and a few drops of lavender essential oil.
- Take a walk.
- Flip through a magazine.
- Call a friend or family member.
- Color in a coloring book.
- Draw or doodle.
- Find a picture you like on Pinterest and paint it.
- Breathe in some essential oils. Place one drop of lavender in your palm, rub your hands together, cup your hands over your nose, and take in five deep breaths.
- Declutter an area in your home such as your closet, your spice collection, or the area under your bathroom sink.
- Sit on a park bench and soak up some sunshine.
- People-watch. Create stories in your mind about the people you see: what they do, where they live, what they’re like, etc.
- Paint your fingernails or toenails. OPI’s Cajun Shrimp is where it’s at!
- Exfoliate your skin with a scrub made from one part fine sea salt and one part olive oil.
- Flip through an old photo album or two.
- Play with a pet.
- Dance to some upbeat music.
- Drink a cup of tea. Raspberry zinger and lemon zinger is my favorite combination when it’s chilled!
- Ask your significant other for a head massage.
- Disconnect from social media.
- Take a nap.
- Listen to your favorite music. Pandora stations such as Hall and Oates, Electric Light Orchestra, and The Goo Goo Dolls instantly put me in a good mood!
Wrapping It Up
It’s true that you can’t pour anything from an empty cup. If you’re completely drained, exhausted, burned out, and stressed out, then you can’t give anything of real value to the people around you. And you certainly won’t be happy!
If you want to be the best version of yourself and give abundantly to the people you love, then you need to make yourself a priority. It isn’t selfish at all. When you make yourself a priority, I can guarantee that you’ll be able to tackle your other obligations with more energy and a positive attitude.
There are plenty of ways to de-stress when you feel overwhelmed. Many of them don’t take much time at all, so get in the habit of doing something for yourself every single day. You deserve a few minutes of rest considering the multitude of things you do for other people on a daily basis.
So pick one activity from this list and do it right now or as soon as you get home. Whatever you do, don’t put it off until tomorrow. Start this new habit today even if you only have ten minutes to offer yourself. You deserve it!
Other Posts You May Enjoy
- 3 Simple Ways to Live a Healthy Lifestyle
- How to Declutter Your Home Without Feeling Overwhelmed (plus a free printable checklist!)
- Give Yourself Permission to Declutter
- How to Stay Organized With The Best Calendar Ever
- 9 Simple Ways to Stay Active Throughout the Day
- The Best At-Home Workout Programs for Women Who Hate the Gym
- Simple 3-ingredient Face Oil Recipe
What about you? What are your favorite ways to de-stress?
Also, if you found this post helpful, feel free to share it or pin it for later!